Topics

Selection of Frequencies and repeaters.

Jason Unwin

I am going to start putting repeaters into my new Yaesu FT2D. I have a few questions:
1. How do you select the repeaters to use for your launches?
2. How do you decide on the frequencies to use for the launch?
3. What radios would you recommend to use to transmit the aprs information on? I talked to a couple people at the launch on Saturday and evidently the ones you use have been discontinued. Is there a radio of similar capability and reliability?

Again, I'm trying to get something going here in Oklahoma. You guys are very organized and have a very high success rate at what you do. Plus a lot of experience.  My son and I had a good time chasing down the balloon across eastern Colorado.

Jason Unwin
KF5UEF

Mike Pappas

Hi Jason,

Comments are interspersed.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
RF Resource Coordinator
EOSS
Pappas Consulting LLC
Off: 303-988-0976
Cell: 303-807-5619
advanceddigital@...

On Nov 12, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Jason Unwin via Groups.Io <generalripper_1999@...> wrote:

I am going to start putting repeaters into my new Yaesu FT2D. I have a few questions:
1. How do you select the repeaters to use for your launches?

Its based upon the predicted flight path and coverage of available repeaters.  Since APRS is typically on 2M we typically use UHF for communication as it doesn’t interfere with APRS on 2M.  We have had the advantage of doing this for a number of years (28) and thats helped us figure out what repeaters cover what launch sites and potential landing zones.  And its not unusual for us to end up on simplex or cellphones or soup cans and strings.

But the big takeaway is to not be in the same band as APRS as you will interfere with the reception of APRS packets.  Our simplex frequencies are all in UHF and we typically use UHF repeaters.  All of these are listed on the EOSS website.

2. How do you decide on the frequencies to use for the launch?

See above

3. What radios would you recommend to use to transmit the aprs information on? I talked to a couple people at the launch on Saturday and evidently the ones you use have been discontinued. Is there a radio of similar capability and reliability?

Our payload team would need to jump in here.